One of the great joys of my life is creating recipes. I love to pore over flavor profiles, daydream about presentation, and wander through the market delighting in the colors and textures that can be brought together. This is the reason that Hungry Goddess exists.
Recently, I had a kale craving that could not be resisted. The Chopped Kale Salad with Squash and Pomegranates is the result. When I first made the salad, I used Delicata Squash with is so creamy and buttery, you might become obsessed. It is harder to find so when I was in Delaware and gathering with the girls, I did a version with roasted butternut squash, roasted beets, and a bit of quinoa for good measure and it was just as delicious.
I toss the kale in the dressing about an hour prior and I have found that using Bragg’s Amino Acids (tastes like soy) breaks down some of the bitter of the kale. A note of caution about peeling pomegranates … they stain. REALLY stain. So, put on an old apron and do it over the sink into a bowl. They are the perfect pop of acidic sweet in this salad!
Ingredients (serves 4):
- 10 oz bag of Chopped Kale (from Trader Joe’s but you can get a big bunch and stem and chop your own)
- 1 pomegranate, seeded
- 1 Delicata Squash. seeded and got into half moon shapes (or butternut squash and roasted beets!)
- 1 tablespoon of Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- Salt and pepper
- 1/4 cup Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- Juice of two lemons
- 2 cloves of garlic
- 1 – 2 tablespoons of Bragg’s Amino Acids