February 13 is my new Valentine’s Day – Self Love Day! I am happily single so other than planning lunch with my awesome kiddo, it does not really register in my world. But February 13, well that has become a VERY important day for me. Christine Arylo has declared it Self Love Day and I am tickled to honor it. Actually, every single day should be Self Love Day – think we can start that kind of revolution?
After spending a few wandering-in-the-desert kind of years that were full of lots of unkind self-talk and included several years of not looking in a mirror, I feel more myself than I have in years. It wasn’t easy work – learning to love myself again, but with patience and lots of loving reminders, I am pleased to report that Me, Myself and I are having a wonderful love affair! I really missed me so this has been a seriously blissful reunion.
Are you ready to take the steps to loving yourself more?
1. Stretch Your Body – Before the Goddess created the Universe, she streeeeeeetched. A Lot. How can you create when you are tight and closed in? Streeeeeeeetch and Expannnnnnnnnd. It feels good. Join a yoga class or check out some of the awesome offerings online from Curvy Yoga.
2. Breathe – Creation is all about expansion and making space – deeeep breath in through your nose slowly and deeeep breath out through your mouth slowly. Pause. Repeat. If you do this quickly, you will pass out. If you do this slowly, you will feel breath filling every crevice of your being. See it coming in and traveling to the far reaches of your body and activating all those wonderful cells that perk up and get ready to go to WORK!
3. Think Positive but Realistically – thinking positive is NOT about saying things are ok when they are not. Thinking positive is not about hiding your emotions. Thinking Positive is about knowing that things are going to get better even if they are total crap right this minute. When sad times occur – it’s okay to be sad. Just not wallowing for weeks. Or never getting out of bed for a month (I did that). Bounce back with a Positive Punch after a cleansing Pity Party.
4. Speak kindly to yourself – our Inner Voice is a critic only because we allow it to be. I suggest that we swap out the Inner Critic with the Goddess Kuan Yin. She is the Goddess of Compassion and Mercy – what would our inner voice sound like if Kuan Yin was the one speaking? Blow open that heart chakra!
5. Spend time in Meditation and Prayer – meditation and prayer invites connection with the Divine. We are never alone with that connection. Nurture it, invite it, bathe in it. The Goddess/God always has time for a chat with you.
6. Nourish your body – how do you feel after eating something healthful and delicious? Incorporate more whole foods into your diet, experiment with some new foods and recipes. Ask your body what it wants! Sometimes the body wants a bowl of ice cream. I am all for having an occasional chocolate or sweet indulgence. I am also for mindful eating and responding to your body’s intelligent cravings. Find the balance.
7. Nourish your mind – online courses, a day at the museum, attending a lecture – feed your brain! Join a book club, spend some time at the library. Our brains need to be energized and challenged.
8. Nourish your spirit – what uplifts you? what sends your soul into bliss mode? Books, music, dance, yoga, photo walks, drum circles, moon circles are all ways to nourish your spirit and feed your soul. Make a date with your soul – how can you find bliss together?
9. Laugh and then Laugh some more. Laughter reduces stress and jiggles your organs in a good way. You just might need to meet the Goddess Uzume for a full belly laugh session!
10. Write a love letter to yourself. Create a Pinterest board that represents your love letter to yourself. Swap the inner critic for Kuan Yin and reconnect to YOU. What do you want to say to yourself with love?
Do you have some secrets to loving yourself more? How is your Self Love plan unfolding?
Share in the comments – I would love to hear from you!